1. Watch out for the stuffing. It may include nuts, chestnuts, apple, bread (wheat), egg, gluten, chicken stock, herbs, seasoning, spices, milk and soybean (essentially anything!)
2. Pumpkin pie. This is a staple holiday sweet, that may include wheat, egg, milk, nuts, nutmeg and gluten.
3. Gravies. You many encounter diary, milk, egg, gluten, corn, soybean and/or wheat.
4. Sauces. Cranberry sauce may contain all kinds of nuts, walnuts, corn, pecans, etc.
5. Cakes/cookies may contain diary, soy, wheat, egg, milk, gluten and nuts galore. In fact bakery items may contain either nuts or may be produced on equipment that is exposed to various nuts. Shiny bakery items generally contain “butter”, as a wash.
6. Turkey. Many holiday birds are injected with “butter’ and various added ingredients.
7. Potatoes. There are a variety of different kinds of potatoes that may contain butter, diary, milk, cream, marshmallows (corn syrup).
8. Margarine. Some may contain milk products.
9. Canned foods. Tuna can often contain casein, a milk protein as well as some hot dogs!
10. Bring safe food and snacks while a guest in someone’s home or restaurant, especially for kids.
11. Apples, carrots, hazelnut, stone fruits may aggravate and cause “oral allergy itchiness” if you have seasonal pollen allergies!
12. Be careful with Alcohol. Look for gluten free beverages. Do your research for beer and Sake there are gluten free versions. Always check the label!
13. Seeds. Many individuals are developing various allergic reactions to seeds, such as sesame, sunflower, etc and it is frequently used in foods, breads and bakery items.
14. See an allergist, become trained as a “label detective” for a safe, and fun holiday!!!