What Is An Allergist?
Allergists are specialists for the treatment of allergic diseases, asthma and immunological conditions. It takes years of dedication and training to become a Board Certified Allergist / Immunologist. All Allergists go to college, then medical school and complete a minimum of three years of residency in either Pediatrics or Internal Medicine. They then participate in a two to three year fellowship in Pediatric and Adult Allergy and Immunology. This is followed by a Board Certification Examination in their specialty area. No other type of physician is as qualified to treat allergic diseases.
When Should I See An Allergist?
Many individuals suffer year after year with symptoms that affect their quality of life and, unfortunately, never realize that the care can provide great relief and improved quality of life.
- To confirm the diagnosis of allergies or asthma
- To identify potential triggers of your allergic symptoms or asthma
- To confirm if you have food allergies, insect sting allergies, or medication allergies
- To assist with modification of your environment if your allergies and/or asthma are interfering with your ability to fulfill your activities of daily living
- To evaluate the warning signs of asthma, such as shortness of breath, wheezing or coughing often, especially at night or after exercise or experiencing tightness in your chest
- To evaluate your need for medications for your allergies and/ or asthma
- When antihistamines, decongestants and/or over-the-counter medications do not control your allergy or asthma symptoms, or create unacceptable side effects, such as drowsiness or nervousness
- If you suffer from more ongoing ear, sinus, throat or lung infections in a year
- To evaluate allergic rashes, hives, eczema and skin allergies
- To undergo allergy treatment
We are now part of Schweiger Dermatology Group accepts most major insurance plans.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation please feel free to contact us at (212) 260-6078 for Gramercy or (212) 964-1295 for Financial District.