Rule # 1 – Keep your decorations “off season” in enclosed containers, this will reduce dust and mildew from accumulating – and avoid sniffles when opened.
Rule # 2 – Avoid artificial “snow sprays” that can aggravate your sinuses, eyes and cause annoying respiratory symptom including cough.
Rule # 3 – Watch out for those lovely holiday like “poinsettias”, if you have skin allergies, especially if you have a sensitivity to rubber, it may cause a itchy rash.
Rule # 4 – Don’t bring in wood for the fireplace until needed, it may bring mildew and molds into your home, especially when not completely dry or damp.
Rule # 5 – Watch out for those pesky mold spores if you have a natural, fresh Christmas tree in your home, especially if you have indoor allergies!
Rule # 6 – If you humidify your home, measure the indoor humidity level with a low cost hygrometer, and keep the level of humidity at 50% or less.
Rule # 7 – It may be best to avoid wood burning stoves or direct exposure to poorly ventilated home fireplace, especially if you have asthma or respiratory problems.
Rule # 8 – Stay away from scented candles and potpourri, incense, room fragrance devices that can irritate your eyes and nose as well as your breathing.
Rule # 9 – Wash all non-porous holiday decorations, with warm soapy water to clean off dust and mildew, before placing on your tree and other areas of the home.
Rule # 10 – A HEPA air cleaner (both a portable room unit and/or central heating/ventilation system can help to reduce indoor allergens and pollutants.