Dr. Clifford Bassett, medical director of Allergy and Asthma Care of New York, has some tips on how to stay allergy free on Valentine’s Day:
- Be a label detective: be aware of hidden ingredients.
- Keep safe sweets (for V day), snacks, foods with you, especially when visiting or traveling.
- Know which bakeries, restaurants have a supply of allergy friendly foods/items; high risk cuisine: Asian, Mexican, Seafood, Bakeries, Dessert shops, etc.
- Call ahead when dining out, especially during peak times and carry a “chef” card.
- Have an Epi-Pen with you, especially when eating outside of the home.
- For those intimate moments, avoid having your significant other eat suspect allergy foods prior to kissing, etc.; plan ahead and consider this before you eat suspect foods.
- Have a simple in-office skin patch test if you believe you have a skin allergy (i.e. fragrance, massage oil, cologne, scented personal products, etc).