We are now part of Schweiger Dermatology Group. We offer specialized services from allergy testing & treatments, asthma treatments, and immunotherapy. The honor and privilege of caring for our patients come with the responsibility to uphold the utmost standard of excellence in patient care.
- We offer in-person and virtual consultations.
- If you have allergies, asthma, and/or a history of allergic reactions, and have any concerns, please make an appointment (virtual or in-office visit) to discuss your questions about the COVID 19 vaccine.
Our credentials include:
- American Board of Allergy & Immunology
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American College of Allergy, Asthma &Immunology
- Fellow, Allergy & Immunology Society of Greater New York
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- Kings County Society of Medicine
- New York Magazine “Best Doctors”
- New York “SuperDoctors™”
- Vitals “Patient’s Choice Award™”
- Castle & Connolly’s “America’s Top Doctors”
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area™
- Perfect Reviews, Top Allergist NYC: ZocDoc
- HealthGrades: “Honor Roll”
- 32 years experience
- Most Insurance Accepted
We have 2 convenient locations: Gramercy and Financial District
We treat the full spectrum of allergic disorders, including but not limited to allergic rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, chronic cough, pet allergies, stinging insect sensitivity, drug reactions, eczema, hives, food & latex allergies, as well as asthma and breathing issues and immunological disorders.
“Dr. Bassett lives up to his name. He is genuinely more awesome than any other physician, allergist, or dermatologist I’ve ever seen. I went to see him for a combination of problems – eczema and food allergies – and he immediately pinpointed a few causes that other doctors have never given me before. He and his staff take great lengths to understand your medical history, living environment, and lifestyle to assess the proper treatment plan for your allergies. He was informative and very thorough. If you sniffle, itch or wheeze, Dr. Bassett is the allergist to see.” ~ YELP
The most frequent reasons that patients visit include:
- Allergy Testing: Can be performed via skin testing or through lab work.
- Allergy Treatments: We will work closely with you to develop the best treatments and the most effective solutions to lessen, and in some cases halt the progression of your allergies. We provide a comprehensive approach that uncovers the cause of your allergy while providing the best solutions. We provide a complete range of services to help our patients resolve their allergy condition including environmental modification, medication, and Immunotherapy (using allergy shots or drops).
- Allergy Evaluation: Some of the most common being: allergic rhinitis, ocular allergies, sinusitis, food allergies, spice allergies, pet allergies, and environmental allergies.
- Asthma Evaluation & Treatments: We offer diagnosis, treatment, and management. For many adults, uncovering your allergies and working to improve your environment will be critical in controlling your asthma.
- Evaluation & Treatment of Skin Allergies:
- Urticaria (hives) – Acute /chronic
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis)
- Contact dermatitis
The Most Common Types of Allergy Tests Performed Include:
- Skin Prick Tests: This is the most common test and is virtually painless. A very small amount of certain allergens are applied to your skin by making a small indentation or “prick” on the surface of your arms (or back) using plastic pricks. This type of testing is utilized to test for environmental, food, and/or spice allergies. If you have allergies, a small red bump similar to a mosquito bite will appear on the skin. Positive reactions generally occur within about 20-30 minutes thus allowing you to see what you are allergic to during your visit. And generally, the small hives where the tests were done will go away within 30 minutes. After the testing, ice and creams may be applied locally to reduce any redness and itching at the test sites.
- Intradermal Tests: If your prick skin tests are negative but your allergist still suspects you might have allergies, more sensitive tests may be used in which a small amount of allergen is injected within the skin. This type of testing may also be utilized to confirm your allergies and determine your sensitivity for purposes of making your serum for allergy immunotherapy (allergy shots or drops).
- Challenge Tests: A very small amount of an allergen is inhaled or taken by mouth. Challenges are done mostly with potential food allergies. Challenge tests are always performed in our office under the supervision of our practitioners.
- Blood Tests: Blood tests are generally used when skin tests might be unsafe or won’t work, such as if you are taking certain medications, or have a skin condition that may interfere with skin testing. The blood tests are prescribed in our office and done in nearby labs.
- Skin Patch Tests: Patch tests are used for skin allergies, also known as contact dermatitis. They can determine if a patient’s skin contact with certain chemicals, metals, fragrances, or other things cause a rash or dermatitis. These allergens are applied to a patch that is numbered and placed on your back. Patch tests take more time than skin tests and do not yield an immediate response as with skin testing. You will return to the office after 48 to 72 hours to have the patches removed and your test read.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation please feel free to contact us at (212) 260-6078 for Gramercy or (212) 964-1295 for Financial District.